Wednesday 5 October 2011

Run(ning) Bean & Courgette Soup

After turning half my bumper crop of runner beans into relish (as yet untested - still a month to go!) I decided to turn the rest, plus my courgettes, into a soup.  .  The results were rather good - although I did have to really blitz it as I didn't bother de-stringing the beans beforehand.  Give it a try with a swirl of either fresh pesto - which was delicious - or half fat creme fraiche depending on your preference.

Ingredients:
500g runner beans, sliced (and destringed)
500g courgettes, chopped
1 large white onion
1.5 pints of vegetable stock (I used Antony Worrall Thomson's Gluten free stock cubes as my mum is celiac)
1 tablespoon of oil - I used Black & Gold's Rapeseed Oil

1. Heat the oil before adding finely chopped onion and fry until soft (but not brown) in the oil.


2. Add the runner beans and sweat for 5 minutes before adding courgettes and sweating for another 5 - 10 minutes.



3. Add the stock, then bring to the boil before turning down and simmering for 25 - 30 minutes.   Season to taste.

4. Either serve chunky with a swirl of pesto or creme fraiche or, if your kids are like mine, blitz to within an inch of its life then serve!

Admittedly, it is a slightly odd shade of green but it tasted good!







The running reference is because, having been out for a run that morning (our weekend was rubbish on the weather front unlike the south of England who were experiencing sub-tropical conditions for October!) I was glad of a wee bowl of soup and a roll when I got back.  Felt very wholesome and healthy!



Runner Bean(tastic)!
Get Picking

No comments:

Post a Comment